I am an experienced non-executive director, trustee, advisor and governor with current and former positions in the private and not for profit sectors, across financial services, fintech, housing, healthcare and state and independent education. A holder of the FT Board Director Diploma, I have a strong grasp of governance and the required behaviours of a successful non-exec and bring specialist knowledge of risk in cybersecurity controls.
Key Skills And Expertise
Strategy & Culture
Strategic Big Picture Visionary: Identifies blockages and fringe benefits, resulting in new strategic opportunities; multi-sector experience brings interconnected yet alternative perspectives.
Driving A Purpose-Driven Culture: Balancing a broad group of stakeholders, including employees, customers, suppliers, the community and the environment; guided Boards through BCorp accreditation
- Operational resilience & Cyber: deep understanding of cyber risks (CISI Cyber Award) and how to use culture as a driver to build robust defences through a human firewall;
- ESG: Member of Chapter Zero, educating boards on how to assess physical and transition risk of climate change; guided Boards through BCorp accreditation; advised on development of ESG model portfolios;
- Reputational: Experienced assessing the reputational risk of brand management across loosely controlled franchisees; consideration of increased reputational risk resulting from media exposure;
- Regulatory and conduct: Guided a board of non-financial professionals to understand FCA regulations, in particular in respect of TCF and CASS; identified conduct risk concerns in board behaviours;
Data & Technology:
- Appreciation of opportunities of data driven analysis: 10 years as Head of Marketing and Comms underpinning deep insight into the use of data analysis to inform business strategy and enhance services;
- Understanding the emerging technologies behind fintech: Board advisor to a wealthtech firm, former NED of two p2p lenders, regular speaker and panellist for FinTech North; devised and delivered ‘A Beginners’ Guide to Fintech’ covering P2P, Open banking, Crypto and AI.
- Application of those technologies: Wide range of business contacts across data analysis; wealthtech across the client journey, artificial intelligence, open banking and automated regulatory reporting;
Professional And Director Qualifications And Memberships
Financial Times Non-Executive Director Diploma (March 2017): Masters equivalent, covering behaviours of a non-exec, board structure & performance, directors’ duties & liabilities, audit & financial reporting and risk management & internal control. https://bdp.ft.com/Diploma
Member of the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (MCSI): The professional body for securities, investment and wealth and financial planning professionals. www.cisi.org
CISI Managing Cybersecurity Award, (February 2020): Provides an understanding of the threat of cybercrime in the financial services industry, associated risks and how they can be managed.
CISI Diploma, (June 2000): Three-part professional diploma: Regulation & Compliance, Private Client Investment Advice & Management and Fund Management.
Fund Boards Council: A membership organisation for directors of mutual fund boards, which aims to be the most authoritative source of insight, thought-leadership and engagement on fund board governance topics across Europe. www.fundboards.org
Chapter Zero: A membership organisation that helps non-executive directors engage with the potential risks and opportunities of climate change and take this discussion into their boardrooms. www.chapterzero.org.uk
Financial Services And Fintech
The Superbia Group, ESG Advisory Board Chair | Feb 2021 - present
A wealth management group not only looking to launch an ESG investment proposition but live and breathe the principles behind ESG by aiming for BCorp certification.
Crealogix MBA, Independent Board Advisor | July 2020 – present
The UK division of a Swiss-listed banking and wealth tech firm seeking to understand its target market.
RebuildingSociety.com, Non-executive director | Feb 2018 – Feb 2019
A Leeds-based, peer-to-peer lending platform seeking to strengthen its core business processes and regulatory compliance and grow through the attraction of institutional lending.
InvestUP, Non-executive director | Feb 2018 – Feb 2019
A Leeds based, start-up peer-to-peer aggregator looking to target the wealth management market.
Redmayne-Bentley LLP, Board advisor to franchised offices | 2010-2015
The UK’s largest independent stockbroker and investment manager, with a network of 40 branches across the UK and Ireland, managing £6bn of client funds.
Housing, Healthcare & Education
Harrogate Neighbours Housing Association, Trustee/Audit & Risk Committee | Aug 2017 – present
A charity encompassing a housing association, care home and ‘meals on wheels’ service that has recently taken a £2m loan from the Charity bank to build 55 new assisted living apartments
Leeds Grammar School and Leeds Girls’ High School Foundation, Trustee | Feb 2019 – present
A charitable foundation managing the bursary funds for the school
Castleton Primary School, Vice chair of Governors | Sept 2016 – present
A primary school in Leeds, falling in the top 2% of deprived areas in the country.